Mini Split air conditioners are becoming increasingly popular because of their energy efficiency and small footprint. However, just like with any HVAC system you choose for your home, you may need to have repairs done from time to time.
According to The New York Times, around 90% of America’s households have some sort of Air Conditioning! If your Mini Split AC needs repairs, it is important to know what to do.
In this blog post, we will go over the most common mini split AC repairs and what you need to know to complete them. We will also provide some helpful tips on how to prevent these repairs from happening in the first place. Let’s take a look!
What Is a Mini Split AC System
Part of understanding the repairs needed for a mini split system also means knowing more about the unit, its parts, and how it works. A Mini Split AC system is a type of air conditioning system that does not require ductwork. Mini Split AC systems have two main parts: a single outdoor compressor/condenser and an indoor air-handling unit are used. The power cable, refrigerant tubes, suction tubes, and drain hose are all contained in a conduit that links the outdoor and indoor units.
How Does a Mini Split AC System Work
The outdoor compressor/condenser unit of a Mini-Split AC system pumps refrigerant to the indoor air-handling unit. The indoor air-handling unit blows air across a heat exchanger, cooling the air and causing the refrigerant to evaporate. The now cold and vaporized refrigerant is then sent back to the outdoor unit where it is condensed and pumped back into the indoor unit.
Common Problems With Mini Split AC Systems and How to Troubleshoot Them
There are a few common issues that can happen to a mini split AC unit. The most common problems with Mini Split AC systems include:
- The outdoor unit not running
- The outdoor unit not getting power
- Refrigerant leaks
- The indoor unit not blowing air
- The air is not being cooled by the indoor unit
- There is water leaking from the indoor or outdoor unit
To troubleshoot problems with your mini split AC system, you should have it serviced by a qualified technician at least once a year. You should also keep the area around your outdoor unit clear of debris and make sure that the indoor unit is not blocked by furniture or curtains.
If you do experience a problem with your mini split AC system, it is best to call a qualified technician for repairs. Attempting to repair the system yourself could void your warranty and cause further damage to the system.
Signs That You Need a Mini Split AC Repair
What are the signs that you need to get your mini split AC repaired? Let’s go over five signs that it’s time to contact a professional HVAC specialist.
1. The Air Conditioner Is Not Cooling as Efficiently as It Used To
One of the most common signs that you need Mini Split AC repairs is when the unit is not producing as much cool air as it used to. If you notice that your home or office is not as cool as it used to be, then it’s time to have an HVAC technician take a look at your unit.
2. The Air Conditioner Is Making Strange Noises
If you start to hear strange noises coming from your mini split AC, then it’s time for repairs. Common sounds that indicate a problem include clicking, grinding, or hissing.
3. Mini Split AC Leaking Water
Another sign that you need to get your mini split AC repaired is if it starts to leak water. This is usually a sign of a refrigerant leak and it can be very damaging to your unit if left unrepaired. However, this could be water as well, depending on the mode you were using.
4. The Air Conditioner Is Cycling on and off Frequently
If you notice that your air conditioner is turning on and off more than usual, it could be a sign of several different problems. It could be something as simple or it could be something more serious like an electrical issue. Either way, it’s best to have a professional take a look.
5. The Air Conditioner Is Blowing Hot Air
This is probably the most obvious sign that you need mini-split AC repairs. If your unit is blowing hot air, then it’s not doing its job! This problem could be caused by several different things, so it’s best to have a technician take a look.
If you’re experiencing any of the above issues, then it’s time to call in an HVAC professional for mini split AC repairs. Ignoring the signs listed above can lead to bigger problems down the road, such as complete system failure. These are all repairs that are not typically DIY and require a pro to take care of it.
Why You Need a Professional for Mini Split AC repairs
Attempting to repair your mini split AC unit on your own can be extremely dangerous. AC units contain harmful chemicals and high voltage electrical components that can be deadly if you don’t know what you’re doing.
In addition, repairing your AC unit on your own voids any warranty that may still be active. So, not only are you risking hurting yourself or the unit, but you’re also throwing away any chance of getting free repairs from the manufacturer.
Mini Split AC Repair – What Needs to Be Done and Who Should Do It
Most Mini Split AC repairs are best left to the professionals. They have the tools, training, and experience necessary to properly repair your AC unit. However, there are a few things that you can do to troubleshoot and fix minor issues with your mini split AC unit.
Change or Clean the Air Filter
If you notice that your mini split AC unit is not cooling as well as it used to, the first thing you should check is the air filter. A clogged air filter will restrict airflow and cause the unit to work harder to cool the space. Replacing a dirty air filter is a quick and easy fix that anyone can do.
Check the Circuit Breaker
Another simple fix is if your AC unit isn’t turning on. Go out and check your circuit breaker. It could have flipped the switch and you can easily turn it back on.
Check the Thermostat
Last, if you’re not getting cool enough air, you can check the thermostat on the unit. If you haven’t checked on it in a long time, it could lose its settings. You can also check the batteries and ensure that everything is running as it should.
While most mini split AC repairs are best left to professionals, there are a few things that you can do to troubleshoot and fix minor issues on your own. By checking the air filter and making sure the breaker is on and that your thermostat is working properly, you can often resolve common cooling issues.
However, if your AC unit is still not performing properly after these checks, it is time to call in an HVAC professional. A trained technician will be able to quickly diagnose and repair any issues that your AC unit may have.
How Often Should You Get Your Mini Split AC System Serviced
It is typically recommended that you get your mini split AC serviced at least once a year. This will help to ensure that it is running properly and can help to prevent any future issues from arising.
Annual Mini Split AC Maintenance can save your Mini Split AC from major breakdowns, save you from high electricity bills, and even an expensive replacement!
Mini Split Repair Cost and When to Call in a Professional
The cost of repairs for your mini split AC system will vary depending on the problem. Some common problems, such as a clogged filter, can be easily fixed at home. However, more serious issues, such as a faulty compressor, will require the help of a professional.
When to call in a professional:
- If you have checked the air filter and your mini split AC unit is still not cooling properly
- If you notice any strange noises coming from your AC unit
- If you cannot identify the problem
- If the problem is with the compressor or other major component
- If the unit is still under warranty
A Professional HVAC Technician will be able to quickly diagnose and repair your Mini Split AC unit. The average Mini Split maintenance cost of a service call is $100-$200, depending on the problem, it can vary.
It is generally more affordable to repair a Mini Split AC system than it is to replace it entirely. However, some common AC repairs can be quite expensive. Replacing the compressor, for example, can cost upwards of $1,000. So, it’s important to weigh your options and decide if repair or replacement is the best choice for you.
You should also consider having a monthly HVAC maintenance plan with your local HVAC company. These plans are fairly cheap and it will ensure that you have a professional come out once a month to ensure that nothing is wrong, keep your unit running as it should, and prolong its lifespan.
Benefits of Having a Mini Split AC System in Your Home
You should be able to enjoy the comfort of your home, no matter what the weather is like outside. That’s why having a functional and reliable air conditioning system is so important, especially during those hot summer months. And when it comes to AC systems, few are more efficient and effective than Mini Split AC units.
If you’re considering having a Mini Split AC unit installed in your home, and are wondering about the benefits, here are 9 reasons why these systems are an excellent choice:
- Energy Efficiency – Mini Split AC units are very energy efficient, which means they’ll save you money on your energy bills.
- Flexible Installation – Mini Split AC units can be installed in a variety of locations, so you can choose the best spot for your home.
- Easy to Use – Mini Split AC units are easy to operate and maintain, so you’ll spend less time and effort on keeping them running smoothly.
- Low Noise Level – Mini Split AC units operate at a very low noise level, so you won’t have to worry about them disturbing your peace and quiet.
- Improved Air Quality – Mini Split AC units improve air quality by filtering out dust, pollen, and other airborne contaminants.
- Environmentally Friendly – Mini Split AC units are an environmentally friendly option since they don’t use harmful chemicals or refrigerants.
- Affordable Price – Mini Split AC units are very affordable, making them a great value for your money.
These are just some of the reasons why mini split AC units make an excellent choice for your home air conditioning needs. If you’re looking for an efficient and effective way to keep your home cool and comfortable, then a Mini Split AC unit is the perfect solution.
Prolonging the Life of Your Mini Split AC System
It’s important to know about Mini Split AC maintenance in order to keep it running smoothly and efficiently. Here are a few tips on how to maintain your Mini Split services for optimal performance:
– Clean or replace the air filter regularly: A dirty air filter can restrict airflow and cause your mini split AC system to work harder than necessary, which can shorten its lifespan.
– Keep the outdoor unit free of debris: Leaves, dust, and dirt can accumulate on the outdoor unit of your mini split AC system, causing it to overheat and potentially break down.
– Keep the area around the indoor and outdoor units clear: If furniture or other objects are blocking the airflow around the indoor or outdoor unit, this can cause your system to heat excessively and break down.
– Schedule regular maintenance checkups: Having a professional inspect and clean your mini split AC system on a regular basis can help to prevent potential issues and prolong the life of your system.
– Invest in a quality mini split AC system: Cheaper, lower-quality mini split AC systems are more likely to break down and need repairs than higher-quality, well-made systems.
If you do need Mini Split AC repair services, it’s important to choose a reputable, qualified technician to do the work. HVAC professionals such as us here at Thomas HVAC Company are NATE Certified HVAC Technicians and we have proven our knowledge and skills in the HVAC industry for years. Give us a call today!