6 Ways to Save Energy in Heating and Cooling
While Alabama is in the midst of an Indian summer, cooler nights can still make our homes feel like fall is in full force and winter is on the way.
In this strange period where we find ourselves heating and cooling our homes in the same day, we need to find ways to save money on our HVAC system costs. Here are just a few ways to reduce the cost of your heating and air conditioning systems:
- Weatherstrip the house. By sealing in air, you will prevent warm, or cool, air from escaping your home, requiring the systems to be run less often.
- Make sure that your home is properly insulated. If you find that your home becomes very cold at night, you may have faulty or insufficient insulation in your walls or windows.
- Close the doors and windows of unoccupied rooms. HVAC systems take more energy to affect larger areas. Ductless air conditioners or heating systems can also help with this problem, as they can be programmed to affect specific rooms. Ductless air conditioners and heating units can also be programmed to turn on and off at certain times of day.
- If you have a gas or wood burning fireplace, close the damper when it is not in use to prevent air from escaping your home through the chimney.
- If you have an AC window unit, install the unit in a window that is blocked by the shade. In direct sunlight, the unit’s compressor-condenser will heat up, causing warmer air to come through your home. A window near another building, fence, or trees is a good place to install the unit. As for the other units, closing your curtains and blinds will reduce the amount of solar heat that comes into the home.
- Use a programmable thermostat. While you’re at work you do not need to waste money and energy heating or cooling your home. Set the timer on your thermostat to turn on the air just before you come home. When you arrive, not only will you be comfortable, but you will also spare yourself a whole day’s worth of energy use. Programmable thermostats save the average homeowner $180 in heating and cooling costs.
If you’re in need of a reliable heating and air conditioning service that will save you money on energy costs, Thomas HVAC Systems will help you find the perfect solutions for your home, your needs, and your budget.